2006-09-12

/me is getting a hell of a lot of trouble just to stay nerdy...

I am using (also) a MacBook. And today I'll talk about a newbie experience to figure out some of the Mac stuff.

I am heavily using ghoul (the name of this whitish stylish machine... don't ask...) as a *NIX box, mainly on terminal (but with nice real transparency, you become snobbish really fast when you have a real transparent terminal!) and using X11 and darwinports extensively to use as much as I can the same applications... That could be debated further but I am risking the stake if too many Mac user read that...

Adium is a nice counterpart for Gaim, nothing to say about that...
But real nerds use irc so irc-ing I was... And to do some irc-ing, I chose to try on Macirssi, which is a gui implementation of the console irssi (that I also installed through darwinports but I'll get to that later...). Who says "gui and Mac" says "good and thoughtful", usually... But not here, I mean, not completely...
Why not to use the port of Xchat is a good question, it is supposed to be quite buggy, that is what I was told, I didn't experience it myself (but maybe I'll try it soon)

Anyway I had to relearn all the console irc commands, so I guess I'll post them here in order to have the really useful ones at hand:
/CONNECT server (for example, irc.europnet.org where we lurk...)
/JOIN #channel (for example #BOP, where indeed we lurk...)
/NICK foo to change your nick from what it was to foo, or more probably for toto to toto_away or toto_eats

/AWAY I am gone to put some powder on my nose
/QUIT Arg here they come to get me!!!
are also quite useful...

and there is also
/ME is putting a finger up is nose
/MSG The_other Hi I want to talk to you without all the others to see that I will be making a fool of myself and try to invite you for a game of tic-tac-toe, wink wink...

All that is fair and square, but I also tried to send and receive some files, fool that I am!
That's a bit trickier, first because it is in the server tab and not in the channel tab, then because I never used before the command lines for that (I was sending the file from my freeBSD box cafetière, using Xchat2)
/DCC SEND nick_of_the_other foo.txt to, well, send foo.txt to the other guy way down there...
/DCC GET yournick to, err, get the offered file

Well, with all that, I can survive...
But there is another problem, the one of those funny characters, such as accents in French and å, ø and other thingies such as æ in Danish... Not that I use a lot of Danish but I don't have a lot of ways of trying to impress people, do I? Unfortunately the command /charset utf-8 seems to be inefficient in Macirssi and I still haven't found not what I am looking for but a way to get around that... It seems to be a bug because you can specify in the preferences your charset and putting it on utf-8 didn't solve anything. Damn it.
And trying the console version (I told you it would come) was a complete failure, I couldn't even start to connect to a server... I haven't said my last word on that!

And now for something completely different... Ciao.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home