2008-03-01

eeepc powered

Ok, sometimes I often like to buy stuffs which are not really useful, but this time, I promise, I might have bought the most necessary device... A damn small linux powered laptop...A5 size, 4G of disk, 300€.

The computer is delivered with a custom Xandros distribution which is really optimised for this material, the boot time is really short and the CPU / RAM strong enough to run googlearth, gimp, inkscape, firefox and vim (ah ah).

Nevertheless, I must have played less than ten minutes with the easy mode interface and switch to the "advanced" interface which is kde (beark). After two weeks, i've decided to install fluxbox which was really easy (xandros is debian based and apt-get install was my friend). After I have optimised the screen usage as this computer screeen is only 7''.

I had to install few extensions for firefox (little-fox theme and fullscreen extension) and then I have reduced the menu fonts by editing the userChrome.css and change to a smaller size the fonts.

/home/user/.mozilla/firefox/95olpcar.default/chrome> vim userChrome.css


After this, I played a lot with the fluxbox themes, and decided to customise the "Lait" theme and reduce all the fonts and borders to the minimum.

Ok, this post is not really detailed, it was just a short message from the free world. I happy about this new toy but a little bit desperate when I read the blogs and forum about the eeepc, it seems some guys are willing to install windows on it...wtf..but what for?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home