2006-10-26

1... 2... Daaaaaaaashhhhhhhh!!!

Hej, it's been a while... How are yall doin'?
Mmmm soory I'm getting my US english back on track before going to Boston next week... Anyway, enuf said 'bout my life...

Recently I got a pretty annoying little problem. Some asshole, sorry, I meant some windows user thought it was nice to start a file name by "- ". Come on dude!!!
"- foo -" is NOT a good name for a file.
It is bad, in the sens of contrary to good! It is evil!!! Imagine the whole world as you know it collapsing in a trashing curse, life being wipe clean by tempest of acidic rainy winds... sort of...
Bad!

OK. So how does a Unix guy get around that a rename it, mv-it I should say, into something more reasonable, such as foo.txt for instance. Because - is the option thingy, see.

Easy when you know the trick, like swallowing a burning spear or a sharp curvy sword. Yes, if you know the damn trick!!!!
OK, ok, here it is: start the name of the file by ./ (telling basicaly that you want to act in the present directory, which actually is what you want...) so that you get something like mv ./-\ foo\ -.txt foo.txt and there you are.

I hate you, windows guy... but there is always, *always*, ALWAYS a solution in our Unix command line world...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home