2006-09-27

Use MapJon and move to Dijon !

Hmmm (this is the only meaningful introduction that I was able to find for this post),

I've heard that it seems that I am moving to dijon. It seems also that I have to look for a flat.
Last time I had this stupid idea was in 1999 and at this "age" only few adds were available on internet. But today, especially today, as I am back to Paris after some days away, my email is full of adds with obscure streets name such as "Rue le Gouz-Gerland" or "Rue Jacotot". It also seems that there are no metro stations in this city and consequently no ways to refer to these stations in order to decide whether or not the flat is in a nice place and it's usefull to have a look to the details.

Today, after three cut (mouse highlight) and paste (middle click) in the http://maps.google.fr I already feel tired.

That's why I have created (adapted from existing stuffs) the most useful "piece of software" of the day, which is called "MapJon" like Map Dijon !

  • What is it ?
It's a simple Mozilla firefow bookmarklet in javascript, the source is :

    javascript:q = "" + (window.getSelection ? window.getSelection() : document.getSelection ? document.getSelection() : document.selection.createRange().text); if (!q) q = prompt("You didn't select street name in Dijon, please type it here:", ""); if (q!=null) window.open("
    http://maps.google.fr/maps?f=q&hl=fr&q=dijon+"+escape(q)+
    "&ie=UTF8&z=15&om=1&iwloc=A"); void 0

  • How to install it ?
You simply have to create a new bookmark in the mozilla-firefox bookmark toolbar and call it MapJon, then you edit its properties copy the source above and paste it as the bookmark url.

  • How to use it ?
You simply highlight the damn street name your looking for in dijon and then you click in the bookmark bar on the MapJon and then you will see in a new window a google map pointing to this street.

As I am lazy, the next step I'm sure will be to add a keyboard shortcut or a menu entry in the right click menu with a firefox extension.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home