2006-10-08

Writing in Chinese ? 写汉语?

This post is more a post-it that a post !
Each time I upgrade my system or I install it again, I always forget how to configure the chinese input!

It's more than easy in fact, only few stuffs need to be installed and configure.

The best method for Chinese input is definitively scim, so first I need to install scim, scim-tables and scim-pinyin. Scim can also be used for other exotic languages, from japanese to tibetan. Scim is easy to use and very similar to popular input methods used in China with in Microsoft windows.

Once installed, I just had to modifiy my .i18n file in my home directory by adding four lines wich are used by X depending on the window you want to type in (GTK, QT or basic X). More information can be found on this website.

GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
QT_IM_MODULE=scim
XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
Then, after I restart my windows manager and once back in, in order to switch from french/english/chinese I just have to use CRTL+SPACE

6 Comments:

Blogger Azathotep said...

Three days ago I tried to install scim on my debian box with this method without success.
In fact I simply forgot to reconfigure the 'locales' (with dpkg-reconfigure) before running scim :(

10/09/2006 10:26 am  
Blogger Azathotep said...

By the way, I notice that you use the m17n library instead of the 'smart pinyin' common method. Could you reveal your ultimate reasons ?
Besides, how can we search for a specific chinese character given its pinyin representation (with tone in numeric format for example) ? I must confess that this issue drives me mad !
Thanks :)

10/09/2006 2:56 pm  
Blogger Long Wei said...

Was it necessary on Debian to have the locales (zh )?

Concerning the input method, in fact, I usually don't use m17n, as you can see on the picture, I use the method highlighted in blue on my post.
With this one, you only type de pinyin without tones, like woshifaguoren, and it guess more ore less your sentence, 我是法国人。


I you want to type the pinyin + tone and get the candidates characters, you can use the m17n-tonepy. If you want to search for a character, classical paper based dictionnary are organised by pinyin + tone.

10/10/2006 1:19 am  
Blogger Azathotep said...

I must admit that my debian installation might be a little messy. Nonetheless, scim offered only the standard IM prior to the dpkg-reconfigure locales (include zh).
To fix things I had followed these instructions.

[Personal reminder] I also do an 'export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8' before running oowriter ...

10/10/2006 4:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah you are right for the LC_CTYPE, it is also set up in my .i18n file. I almost forgot why it was there, thank to remember me, it was for openoffice.

on the ohter hand, have you tried Dimsum? It's an excellent java based dictionnary ?

10/10/2006 11:11 pm  
Blogger Azathotep said...

Thank you very much for this link ! I'd been asking myself if such a stuff existed (I grow tired of Windows softwares).

10/11/2006 2:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home